- Seven courses including orientation, understanding the child welfare system, impact of trauma on children, effective discipline for hurt children, cultural exploration, medication administration, and CPR/first aid.
- Home visits/interviews- there will be at least four of these including one as a walk through of our home to make sure we don't have any loose guns, danger/filth, and that we have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, a written fire exit plan, etc.
- Tons of paperwork- marriage certificate, proof of employment, monthly budget, form from our PCP saying we're healthy enough to parent, references, proof our cats are up to date on shots, copies of vital documents, etc.
- Background checks including fingerprints, local background check, meth offender check, sex offender check, felony offender check, and child abuse offender check
- Agree to some things like discipline policy (no corporal punishment, no cruel punishment), confidentiality (when we are fostering, the details of the removal/child are on a need to know basis), and child restraint laws (follow all the car seat, booster seat rules)
Saturday, May 5, 2012
What Does It Take to Become a Resource Parent?
Several people have asked me about the process to become certified, so I thought I'd give some more details. (And by the way, resource parent is the newer term for foster parent... I will probably use both because while I was trained to say resource parent, I still say foster parent most of the time).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment