Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Embryo Adoption Consult

Well, we had our embryo adoption consultation! Instead of having the consultation in May as originally scheduled, we will actually be back at the clinic for transfer in May (if all goes well).

We drove the night before since, although the clinic is only a couple hours away, we had an early morning appointment, were losing an hour for a time zone change, and I had to have a full bladder for the appointment.

When we got there, we had dinner at O'Charleys and burned nervous energy the best way I know how- walking around Target. We went there for some bottled water for me to drink in the morning and ended up buying random groceries that were on sale. There's just something so comforting about walking around Target!

By this point it was past 10 PM, so we thought it was ready to settle down. I set three alarms because I was nervous we wouldn't wake up. I woke up every hour starting at 2 AM and never even needed an alarm at all!

I tried to eat breakfast while chugging 60 oz of fluids. I was nervous when we arrived at the clinic because I hadn't felt any of the fluids hit me... but by the time we waited in the waiting room, met with the doctor to go over my medical history, and got back to the exam room... I was in pain. The doctor said I had the fullest bladder of the month award and he could tell I was an overachiever (yes, yes I am!). They did some testing (SHG and trial transfer) which was uncomfortable but not painful.

The doctor said he doesn't see anything that's a concern, so there's no reason I couldn't carry embryos. The next step will be our adoption agency doing the update/addendum to our homestudy... then we can start picking out embryos! If I respond well to the medication and there are no issues with embryo selection, I would have a transfer in May.

Although there's a 50% chance the transfer won't work, there's a 50% chance it will... which is way more hope than I've had in a long time. This is so scary because it feels like putting so many eggs in one basket, but everything has worked out so smoothly thus far, more so than any other direction we've tried up to this point.

I hope this really was a positive omen, but as we walked out of the clinic lobby, "As Long As You Love Me" was playing. Anyone who knows me knows would associate Backstreet Boys with me as I was a fanatic for a lot of years, and this is my favorite song by them.

Wandering around Target to get bottled water... and trying to make sure I wake up on time!

After appointment pizza and ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment