I had to seek out some maternity underwear due to the aforementioned growth. I was angry, yes angry, that Target didn't have any. I don't want to buy regular a size up. They will roll down in the front and sag in the back, and my current ones leave a line in my belly. What the heck society. Am I the only one who sees this need?
And that irritation was because I had to, then, go to Motherhood Maternity. I tried their website, but the sizing wasn't clear. I went, and I felt like an imposter there. I'm just as pregnant as any other shopper there, but I felt like I didn't belong, and I rushed in and out.
It's been about three weeks since my last ultrasound, and by the time we go to the specialty shop to get the big sex reveal on Friday, it will have been almost four weeks.
I can't explain why I feel the way I do. Other than the night I bled a ton, I never think "what if the baby's heart has stopped?"... Other than when I think about the next ultrasound. My trigger. I start to plan it out in my head. Would the tech notice right away? The baby wouldn't be moving, so I'd notice right away. What would the tech say? Why did I schedule the scan on a Friday afternoon? How will I reach my OB, then?
These thought are very intrusive. They invade my brain like I imagine a tumor can, weaving in and getting stuck there.
Why can't I be happy? Why can't I be more excited? I get to see my baby. I will have a video of the movement and lots of new pictures. We can really start planning once we know "boy or girl". But I'm dragging my feet because I don't want bad news.
I am blessed. God is with me. He has helped me get to this point. I don't understand every "why", but I still trust Him.
However, those things don't negate my pain and fears. I live in a broken world. Each day is an opportunity to unbury myself and try to heal.
3.5 years of waiting, the isolation, the home studies, the lost faith in the foster care system, the rejection in adoption situations, the failed IUIs, the failed IVF transfer, the blighted ovum, the miscarriage, the painful realities of medical interventions I fear whether it be the 100s of shots or the two d&c's, the bright red blood at a time you aren't supposed to bleed- it all adds up. It is a heavy weight, much too heavy to dispose of in the amount of time I've had.
And it will still be there when I deliver. My hope is that it will be much less heavy and won't take away in my ability to enjoy my biggest blessing, this creature I have sought after and fought for.
Pregnancy is normally a time to get things ready. Thank God we have a nursery already, because it's my heart I need to get ready.




Because of your misfortune you will appreciate the milestones that much more. The fear never goes away but you learn how to balance the emotion with happiness
ReplyDeleteSara --- this post echoes so so much of what I've been feeling! I am currently 7 weeks pregnant via embryo donation after also trying for years and the same thoughts you're having -- are with me every moment of the day. It's all I can think about:
ReplyDelete... if I feel a cramp, I think about miscarrying
... if I go an hour without being nauseous, I think about miscarrying
... if I suddenly have a random burst of energy, I think about miscarrying
I call these thoughts doubt grenades. And even tho I want to be happy and revel in finally being pregnant, my mind keeps tossing these thoughts into my days and it's devastating. Please know -- you are not alone.
I often feel like those of us who have battled infertility have to face our own form of PTSD once we get pregnant... and the longer you tried, the more you lost, the worse it is. Every time I have a bad thought, I stop myself and envision myself with my baby -- I replace the fear with a good image and press on. I worry that I won't ever stop having the bad thoughts, but I also know I have enough good dreams about this baby to match the bad bits one for one.
I just want you to know that: You've. Got. This. You've been through SO much, what you're feeling makes absolute sense... but don't let it OWN your pregnancy -- this is yours, you've fought for it and you need to keep on fighting. Our paths to motherhood are different than others -- it didn't settle on us gently -- we *claimed* it conquering pain and fear... standing steadfast through it all. You're still in warrior mode, and I believe it will shift, for both of us, but it will take time... you've got A LOT of healing to do. Being pregnant doesn't instantly heal all of the wounds you acquired while trying to get pregnant -- it's a process and even if you can't see it right now, I'm telling you... you're well on your way.
Wishing you so much goodness + a lighter heart!
I kind of wish I could just say "ditto" to most of what Brigitte posted above. I hope that you are able to stop beating yourself up for having these fears/anxieties because they're beyond understandable given everything you've been through. But also: even if you never fully enjoy a single second of this pregnancy, who the eff cares? Honestly, what matters is how you bond with and enjoy your baby once he or she makes their way into this world. It would be great if you could have both, of course, but ultimately it's what happens post-pregnancy that's the most important. (Kind of like it's the marriage that matters, not the wedding - not entirely the same thing but you know what I mean.) Sending love your way...
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot of wisdom here which I sincrely appreciate. Thanks for the love and reassurance!!
ReplyDelete