Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Yay and Nay: Birth-Newborn

I got a million different types of advice while pregnant and since I became a mom. Not that I am an expert by any means, but I love reading recommendation type of posts to get ideas. Take it for what it's worth. Here are some of my Yays. Nays will come in a separate post.

Postpartum
My postpartum nurses sucked. Other than offering me a pain pill and bringing me a glass of ice water, I was pretty much on my own (to their defense it was insanely busy). Thankfully, my sister ensured I had a few tricks to help things along.

Ice
Ask for some upon getting to postpartum room. It doesn't have to be fancy. A glove filled with ice cubes will do. Just get something frozen to help with the swelling. I just put it on top of my huge hospital pad.

A supply basket
I kept a dollar store bucket on the back of my toilet at home, stocked with helpful items. My go-to's were T.ucks pads (line them along pad- moisture is your friend when you have stitches), E.arth Mama Angel Baby spray (very soothing and the bottle sprays even at an angle), and a simple squirt bottle (fill with warm to hot water to rinse everything off- do this first thing after using the restroom- before applying other products). I kept my pads, mesh panties and extra toilet paper in the bucket, too.  

Support system 
If you have helpful people in your life, take advantage of them. I can't describe how much better I felt with just a 1-2 hour nap while someone sat at my house and held baby boy. I didn't cook for several weeks because family and my small group at church brought over food (setting up a meal coordination site helps plan things out so meals can be spread every few days and so you have a variety of things). 


Newborn
P.andora 
Lullabies. Kids music. It can travel anywhere in the house with you via your smart phone. My two favorite kids stations are R.ain for Roots and R.affi. 

H.appiest Baby on the Block
Never underestimate the power of shh'ing, swaddling, and a good ol paci. We love the S.hh Baby Shh app for when your mouth gets exhausted. Baby boy was never picky about a paci so he uses a soothie with a w.ubbanub (makes it hard to loose the paci and it stays in the mouth better having a stuffed animal attached). We never found a flawless swaddle so I don't have a recommendation. The one we liked the best was a.den + anais but baby boy still was able to break the swaddle several times a night (he wakes up several times a night, too, so we would just reswaddle). H.alos didn't hold him at all.

A.ngelcare bath support
Doesn't get mildewy. Is the perfect angle to wash baby whether in the sink (what we did when baby boy was really small) or in the tub (what we do now- you can fill tub with an inch or two of water and rinse with a cup OR use showerhead). By far the most superior tub.

P.ottery Barn Hooded Towels
By far the fluffiest and most absorbent. They make washcloths, too! 

Bottle washing routine
I put a large glass bowl in one side of the kitchen sink. I put empty, disassembled bottles in there as I use them. Once I have the bowl full, I fill it with hot water, regular blue D.awn soap, and a couple splashes of white vinegar (it really helps cut the film). Then obviously rinse with hot water and dry on a rack. I'm surprised at how quickly parts can get moldy if they're not well dried.

Backpack diaper bag
I got a P.etunia Picklebottom backpack bag at consignment- best consignment purchase ever! It has so much room, a good amount of pockets, is wipeable, and the version I have- abundance boxy backpack- comes with built in changing pad (just unvelcro it). It's nice to have a backpack because it keeps you hands-free.

B.oba
Speaking of hands-free- you can shop, go to church, take a walk. Baby is snuggly and happy. The B.oba is easy to put on and comfortable. It has pockets for phone and debit card and a spot to clip keys. It really is worth every dollar and is a wise investment. 


[These are just my opinions. None of the links are affiliate, and I am not paid to post any of this.]

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I love my Ergo, but I am constantly wishing it had a pocket for my phone, etc....now you are making me want to get a Boba!!! I love this list!

    ReplyDelete