Sunday, October 25, 2015

My Story

"No one here has a story quite like ours", I thought.

Baby boy lay contently in his B.oba while I stood near the edge of the crowd of people waiting for their loved ones to get off the plane. 

We had a small sign to welcome her. I scanned all around. Then, there she was. 

His genetic mom. The person who, in part, brought his little soul to the earth. And who made sure he had the opportunity to live and be in a family when he couldn't do so with her. 

It only took a few minutes to feel like I was with a friend. Even though it was nearly midnight, baby boy was right there with me, so he could be right there with her. I took him out of the B.oba when we got to the luggage claim and placed him in her arms. This sweet little blessing with the woman who, nearly 7 years ago, did shots and appointments to form him as an embryo. 

I know she loves him. He's not her son but more than a nephew. She's not just a donor. That's so cold. There are no words in the English language. In a way adoption. But my body nourished and built him. 

He looks like her. 

We spent three full days together. She was able to feed him. Rock him. Meet his extended family and visit our church and see where he might go to school. 

Before she came, she told me she wasn't sure if this trip would be a "hello" or a "goodbye". 

By the time she left, I was planning when baby boy and I would board a plane to go meet the rest of his "Oregon family". 

Openness is scary. 

She's the bravest person I know- to fly across the country and enter into the home of essentially strangers,alone, and in an emotional situation. But we both opened our hearts to each other. 

We both want baby boy to grow up knowing how loved and wanted he is by both families. I think we are doing all that's in our power to make it apparent to him. 

And a bonus- she's a friend, too. She's an experienced mom who can give me tips. We really have a lot in common. God's plans are funny like that. I wouldn't say we haphazardly chose their family, but there was a lot less thought and hope by that point

It all makes more and more sense. He is ours, made possible by a sacrificial gift. This was our story all along, even when we weren't sure we'd ever be parents. Even when our bank account kept dropping and I thought I couldn't do another shot. 

My heart couldn't be more grateful. 

{Note- I realize many reading have closed donations. I don't think my experience is superior in any way. It's works for us and for our donors and we both pray eventually for baby boy. But there are many paths, each beautiful in their own way. So I hope this isn't hurtful to those without openness}.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like all parties involved are writing a beautiful story for baby boy. And there is no doubt that he is very well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh,I just LOVE this!!! How incredibly brave/scary...planning that three-day visit, not knowing how it would go!! I'm so glad it was such a great experience for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so wonderful! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful visit. Can't wait to hear how your trip to visit her and her family goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears are running down my face reading this. Beautifully written to explain the hearts of all involved. The connection truely is like nothing I've ever felt before and the emotions are many, for both sides of this relationship. So grateful for such brave women and families to choose such a path for their reminding babies to be born to and raised by others like us to make our dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete