UPDATE 6/30/12: $425 raised on Chip In, $275 raised on GiveForward, and $560 raised at a yard sale today! That means a total of $1,260 has been raised to get started on Baby J's adoption. This will be given to the lawyer as a retainer to get started soon ($1,000 was the minimum needed to begin). A spaghetti supper is being planned for July 14. Details to follow.
UPDATE 6/29/12: $425 raised so far. Only $75 left to hit my goal of $500!
UPDATE 6/23/12: $325 raised so far.
UPDATE 6/22/12: $295 raised so far. Thanks to all the generous people who have given!
UPDATE 6/21/12: $145 raised so far. It should be showing up soon on the Chip In below (I had to verify the paypal account I set up for this before it would show up).
I have a heartfelt request to make. I have very close family friends who have temporary custody of a sweet 11 month baby boy "J". Both birth parents had a variety of issues why they aren't able to take care of "J", so my family friends went to court at his birth to get custody so they could make sure "J" was taken care of (they are related to one of the parents).
"J" is now happy, healthy, and bonded to their whole family- mom, dad, and three kids. Now that the year mark is approaching, they want to give "J" all he deserves, which is permanency. That is just a fancy way of saying he has stability, a "forever family", and he is fully theirs just like their three birth kids.
In order to accomplish that, they will have to go back to court to terminate the birth parents' rights and go through the adoption process. This is a fairly expensive feat and could range anywhere from $3,000-$6,000 depending on how much the birth parents fight back.
I really believe when people do the right thing, society needs to pitch in and help. This baby didn't go to foster care and didn't languish with parents who weren't able to provide for his needs. This happened because a family opened up their hearts and, so far, have sacrificed to provide for "J's" needs.
The family is having a yard sale next weekend to kick things off. If you live locally and have things to donate, please email or call me. I am helping plan a food event (maybe a spaghetti supper) in the near future to raise money. I am also going to put up a chip in button so if you are unable to be apart of these things, you can still give. I will give all donations to the family and am aiming to help them raise $500.
Would you consider helping them take this final step to give "J" the chance to grow up knowing he is forever apart of a loving family?




Thank you everyone that has chipped in. My family and I appreciate it very much.
ReplyDeleteThank You,
Baby J's family