Sunday, June 7, 2015

Grim Reaper in the Nursery

We don't have as much to do to get ready as most people. We've had a fairly stocked nursery since we did foster care, so luckily we have gone at a leisurely pace getting the rest ready. It's been nice! 

One disadvantage of having everything set up is one cat has gotten fully comfortable with things before there was a screaming baby to scare him off. So, he thinks the changing table is his rest area. He can lay on his own personal cat window perch, the couch, our bed, dining room chairs, etc but..... Noooo... he prefers the changing table. Since I don't want it covered in cat hair when I'm actually using it, I've tried to break him. Yelling doesn't work. Packing tape sticky side up doesn't work. I have been at a loss. 

D came up with the idea to get a screaming motion sensored decoration and set it on the changing table. I can't think of a better option so off to A.mazon I went. 

One of these is on its way to our house right now. I'll report back if the grim reeper is able to modify cat behavior! 

Another disadvantage of having things set up early.... We bought a nice swing at E.ssex (discount store that has discontinued things, things people had opened the package and the store couldn't resell, etc). Because we wanted to make sure it worked and had all the parts, D set it up at the time we got it. It did fine so it's been sitting in a closet. 

I recently took it out and was apparently too dumb to use it. I couldn't figure out how the straps clicked in. I couldn't figure out how to plug in the AC adapter. How can you be too dumb to use a baby swing?!? 

It took D's more technical brain and me googling instructions to find out there are actually four straps and not two (one set was hidden) and they click together onto the belt. And the cord plugs into a spot on one leg. Duh. So the baby doesn't get strangled. It just wasn't intuitive! 


Okay, so we now have a working swing with functioning straps. Do we pass the test? Are we ready to bring home a baby? 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh...I have a cat that loves our downstairs changing table problem. No luck with the tape either. I can't wait to see if this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can use Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lime, and Lemongrass essential oils to repel cat. They don't like those smells

    ReplyDelete