I have really tried to focus on my health the past few years. After college, I worked in a very stressful, thankless, and demanding job in foster care. I grew really unhealthy. I let the stress get the better of me. I gained 30 pounds, had no energy, and felt sad and helpless much of the time. Once I left that job to go back to school, I realized that I can't let stress do that to me ever again. I started eating healthier, started exercising more, and lost half of the weight. (I've also learned about setting boundaries in my work life, which has helped tremendously).
The wait, especially now that it is a dual wait of infant adoption and embryo adoption, is very stressful. Type-A planner, organizer, tending to be obsessive me doesn't know how and when I will become a parent. There's the financial stress. And now the stress of medical procedures.
I am determined to continue self-care through the wait. I don't want to be an unhealthy, lethargic, and sad parent by the time something works out. I don't want that for myself in the meantime, either. I want to share a few areas of health and self-care that have been helpful for me to focus on.
1. My faith
My faith is the biggest source of strength I have. Being apart of a vibrant church, reading the Bible or any religious texts, prayer, listening to music with a focus on faith... all help me stay focused on what really matters and remember the source of all my sustenance.
2. Exercise
My niches are walking and pilates. To help save money, we cancelled our gym membership. That makes exercising in this cold weather a bit tricky, but I try to walk at the park days where it is at least sunny and then just bundle up. I am signed up for a half-marathon coming up, so it helps with my motivation level. I had a back injury in December which was chalked up by the physical therapist to me slacking off my pilates/a weak core, so I am back to doing pilates 4-5 nights a week, and I feel great! I currently do mat pilates but recently got some bands to try some resistance to mix things up.
3. Diet
Not going on a "diet" (although I am a part of a team weight loss challenge at work right now, so I am trying to pull my weight, so to speak). I grew up being fed a fairly healthy diet, so I definitely have a palate for fruits, veggies, and whole grains. My problem is the planning and energy to prepare good lunches and dinners in advance. I am making an effort to keep my pantry stocked with greek yogurt, cheese, almonds, fruits and veggies, and protein bars so it will make healthy choices easier.
4. Support
Everyone has varying comfort levels in their sharing. Luckily, our families are behind us and we are comfortable sharing with our friends and coworkers, too. I'm connected with some really knowledgeable and caring ladies on a private online group. Being open is the right decision for us. Whether it is from your loved ones, a support group in person or online, or a therapist, it is important to have affirmation and support.
| It's not always easy to keep a positive mind set, but working on what I can control right now sure helps! |




No comments:
Post a Comment