I had my baseline monitoring appointment on Thursday (8/30). Instead of using a clinic in Big City for monitoring, I am just driving to NEDC to have it done there. It’s cheaper because it’s included in fees our insurance should cover. Plus Big City Clinic would charge an outside monitoring fee that insurance wouldn’t pay. Plus NEDC may be further but it’s driving away from Big City rush hour traffic which has only worsened since 2014! Yet another benefit is the results are in house meaning I don’t have to chase down labs or ultrasounds in the event NEDC doesn’t get them.
My ultrasound went well. My lining was 13mm which I’ve NEVER seen. Of course, this was before meds and before my period. Still, even with meds last time I don’t think I ever got above 9mm. I wonder if being off birth control pills for so long made a difference (prior to cycling for baby boy I took birth control pills for many years to help with regulating my period).
Next step- clear ovaries. My ovaries had no major cysts which is good. I’ve never had any problems with this, luckily. I have tons of small cysts but never any that cause an issue.
Third step is to have my estrogen blood levels tested. They drew my blood which by now is no big deal.
While I was there, I opted to have a uterine scrape. It’s just what it sounds like... they insert a catheter into your uterus and vigorously swipe it around, pulling out bits of lining. The proposed science behind it is the scraping creates an immune response which in turn makes the uterus more receptive to embryo implantation. Research is still mixed, but if anything it doesn’t make a difference... it isn’t harmful. I had it done twice before, and both cycles I got pregnant, so I felt like I should just do things the same this time.
It hurts quite a bit. It doesn’t hurt at all once they stop. There’s just pressure and cramping. But when that catheter is in there scraping all around, it’s agonizing. However, now that I’ve delivered an almost nine pound baby and had my placenta get stuck and have to be manually dug out by a doctor’s hands (once the epidural was turned off!!).... this just seemed a lot more bearable than I remember.
It’s so matter of fact to cycle. This is my fourth time... but I also have a chubby face to come home to. My heart twinges, but it doesn’t ache. I don’t refresh my email every five minutes to see what Dr K says about my bloodwork and scans. In fact, business hours end with no update, and it doesn’t matter.
I get an email on Friday morning that says
“Dr. K has reviewed the results of your ultrasound and labs. You are cleared to begin your Estrace per your protocol. Please make sure to take your medications accurately, as any variation can negatively impact your cycle and could potentially result in cancellation of your transfer”. Got it.
I continue L.upron for the next two-ish weeks and start e.strace midweek this week. I hate e.strace. It makes me swell like a tick. I’m puffy everywhere. Ugh.




So happy for you. All sounds so positive. Wishing you all the best.
ReplyDelete