This has really nothing to do with adoption, and is more of a soapbox related to parenting.
I find myself thoroughly annoyed and almost angry at the expectations social media brings to parenting.
Exhibit one: Someone has a baby. People post pictures on Facebook BEFORE the parents themselves have done so. (True story)
Exhibit two: Someone has a baby. The minute the baby is born, people begin demanding to have pictures of the baby posted (er, they do use the word "please"... but the multiple statuses lack "Congratulations" or "I hope you're recovering well and enjoying time with little one".... just "Hello, pictures please"). (True story)
People have lost all couth.
Many parents choose to have their kids on social media. That's not a wrong choice if that's what they decide. But it is not your place to decide it for them. And, just because we are all harmoniously tied together on Facebook does not give you the right to expect to be involved in every intimate detail of each others lives.
Please have some manners, boundaries, and plain ol' common sense!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Well said! What about posting wedding pictures on Facebook mid-ceremony? Or your relatives' pregnancy announcement ("so excited I'm going to be an aunt") before your relative anounces themselves! Some people are just rude.
ReplyDeletePregnancy announcement tops either of the examples I gave, and unfortunately I've seen that one, too!
ReplyDelete