Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Thaw Day, Little Embryos


Today's a big day. Our embryos will begin thawing. Carol, the embryologist, will take two little guys from a canister where they have been frozen (they are inside "ampules" or "straws" within the canister, and some are in straws by themselves and some are in straws together). The plan is for her to thaw two of the "youngest" embryos, currently in a 2PN stage (1 day old). From my understanding, the thaw process takes 30 minutes-2 hours (I have read different times). Then, they will be allowed to grow until our transfer Wednesday.

If they do not survive the thaw, there are two more of the youngest embryos still frozen that could be taken out to thaw. If they do survive the thaw but die before Wednesday, she will thaw one or some of our "older" embryos, currently in the multicell stage (3 days old). Basically, my body is prepared for a 3 day embryo, so whatever Carol has to do to get hopefully two viable 3 day old embryos ready is what will happen.

Please say a prayer that the embryos survive and remain strong and healthy.

The thought of someone having to thaw so many embryos in so many stages (I would guess over thw week of transfers there are at least 20 couples, if not more) and frozen in various clinics all across the country astounds me. I am glad I am able to go to a clinic with a very experienced and wise embryologist.

Last night we were sitting outside and saw a crane gliding through the air. He was flying from the east to the west. He looks just like a stork, and he was coming from the Knoxville area.

There are a lot of good signs. Having an originally scheduled consultation on D's birthday, starting my most dreaded thing of this entire process to have a child (PIO shots) on Mother's Day, having the transfer on my mom's birthday, working most closely with two coworkers, one of whom has had four IVF cycles including two frozen and one of whom is adopted (the exact combination of what I am doing)... I know none of this guarantees a happy ending, but at least it helps me feel positive and supported in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment