In anticipation of a potential pregnancy, I am making some lifestyle changes. Most of these aren't necessarily necessary but will help with my anxiety and are worth the potential health benefit. A embryo/fetus has rapid growth, especially in the first trimester. Things like exposure to a virus, a fever, and substance exposure can cause birth defects or mutations in DNA. I can't control everything that happens, but there are some things I can control.
Stop using my current facewash and lotion.
I might be in my late 20s, but I still deal with acne, even more so currently. My current face wash has benzoyl peroxide and my current face lotion has salicylic acid- both of which aren't allowed during pregnancy. I haven't decided on an alternative yet, but I better get to work...
Stop using soap with triclosan.
My go-to soap used to be Bath and Body Works liquid soap, but it is filled with triclosan. Research on mice shows it is an endrocrine blocker in them, and I don't see any reason to keep using it if the verdict's still out on how it affects humans, especially in the area of fertility. I have switched to plain Softsoap and/or Mrs. Myers.
Reduce exposure to aluminum.
Unfortunately, I sweat like a guy. I normally use Dove Prescription Strength which has a high percentage of aluminum for antiperspirant. It's interesting that since I've started using a more natural deodorant (Tom's Unscented Deodorant), I seem to actually sweat less. However, the deodorant aspect does not last as long, and I have to reapply once most days. I know research is mixed on the health effects, but for the peace of mind, I'd rather just avoid it when possible.
Cut out caffeine.
Caffeine is linked to miscarriage. It is also a stimulant and does enter a fetus' system from the mother. Luckily, I've never been a coffee or tea drinker, so my only caffeine vice is Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper. I've reduced my intake to sporadic treats, and after transfer, I will not drink them at all.
Use less fake sugar.
Like triclosan and aluminum, there isn't a huge definitive study saying it causes cancer, but there is plenty of speculation that it isn't healthy. My main sources of fake sugar are beverages (diet drinks like cokes, Vitamin Water Zero, G2 gatorade) and the yogurt I eat every day (Dannon Light and Fit Greek). I have switched from that to unflavored Greek yogurt with a handful of frozen berries. It takes an extra minute of prep but is worth it to me. Vitamin Water Zero is another soft spot for me; I feel like stevia/truvia is better than the alternatives so I may still have these from time to time. This is probably the hardest area for me out of everything here.
Increase monosaturated fats.
Studies say it helps have a more successful IVF cycle, so what the heck- worth a try. I love avocados (mashed in a quesadilla, on a sandwich, in a salad, or even just with a couple tortilla chips), peanut butter (on toast, pancakes, and crackers), and nuts (almonds or walnuts as a snack). I already use olive oil almost exclusively. I think my diet is already proportionately pretty high in healthy fats, so I will continue to try to make sure I have a good intake. This is probably the easiest thing here for me to work on.
Switch to full-fat dairy.
As you can tell from my fake sugar entry, I am always watching my caloric intake. 2% cheese, 0% fat yogurt... always in my buggy! Apparently full fat dairy is important (possibly the chemical changes in taking out the fat removes healthy hormones and leaves hormones that disrupt fertility). I don't eat a lot of meat and tend to eat more cheese and yogurt, so since these dairy items are a regular part of my diet, I have made the change back to full-fat. And as a side note on the cheese, I found out a form of sawdust is used to keep pre-shredded cheese from separating, so I shred my own now.
[Note: I am not representing any of the above brands.]
Thursday, May 1, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment