Monday, August 11, 2014

A Scare...

We went to a baseball game last night. After getting settled into our seats, I went to do my shot. I squeezed into a tiny stall in the humid bathroom and much to my dismay, saw blood. Not what you want to see! I tried to stay calm while I did my "poke" (as my nephew calls a shot). I took some deep breaths, packed up my used syringe, wiped the sweat off my brow, and called D to let him know he'd need to get the car so we could leave.

So many things race through your head. I am lucky to have a great online support group so I am already aware that bleeding is relatively common for this stage, and luckily it was not bright red or a large amount. I teetered between knowing everything was likely okay and sheer terror. A wise friend suggested moving up my ultrasound for peace of mind.

So, this morning my mom picked me up bright & early and we made the commute to the big city. She carefully made it through the rush hour congestion. The clinic worked me right in. I got my blood drawn, then made my way to the dreaded/revered ultrasound room. I undressed waist down, ready to learn more about my embryos' fates.

My favorite tech came in and within mere second was able to show us one sac with a fetal pole and yolk sac (good) without a heartbeat (expected for this point, unless the embryo was just an overachiever) and another sac that was empty. The fetal pole in the first sac was measuring 5 weeks, 6 days which is a couple of days behind but within a healthy range at this point.

A nurse practitioner met with me and believes it is most likely that the empty sac is breaking down and my body is getting rid of it, hence the bleeding. I didn't have any SCH/blood pockets visible on the ultrasound which is positive.

It is sad that the twin stuck around for at least 2-2.5 weeks before it stopped growing. He or she is with the five other embryos, safely tucked away in heaven.

Without further ado, here is baby:

 We will be back Friday to hopefully see a heartbeat.

1 comment:

  1. Sending prayers and thoughts your way. I'm so sorry you lost one of your little ones. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete