Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Story

My poor brain is so sluggish. I have all these thoughts and feelings but it's hard to put them into words.

There are two major reunions/social events coming up within the next two weeks, and I'm not going to either one. I have legitimate reasons why I can't attend. And I would like to be able to go to see some people who would be there.

But part of me is relieved. I honestly do not mind people asking me questions or discussing our situation. I think I'm in a minority with my comfort level of this process. I want to share so other people who may be silently suffering are aware of options. And so no one feels alone. And just because I am pretty excited about this path.

However, I can't stand the unspoken tension of poking questions or looks of pity. Anyone in my social circle "should" have kids by now... or several... or several in late elementary school. And I don't have a child or one on the way or anything. So when you go to these events, it's kinda like a small elephant following you around (maybe I read too much into things).

And while I do enjoy sharing my story, I don't want attention or pity or feeling like I am the trainwreck on someone's Facebook feed. Which is why I shared this blog publicly a few times when I first made it, but I don't put it on my Facebook feed anymore. I feel like if anyone genuinely cares to know what is happening, they follow. I don't just want views when something dramatic happens. My whole heart is all over these posts. I want that reserved for people rooting for me.

I guess all this to say that openness is a fine line. And, this situation is such a lonely place- it's lonely in social settings to not have a picture of my kid or a story to add to the conversation, but it's lonely to be left out of conversations, too.

Maybe one day soon none of this will be a consideration.

2 comments:

  1. Annnd this is why I'm not out of the infertility closet. Because of the questions, and the soft looks. People *mean* well, but they don't always behave in the ways that make us feel good. I totally understand the loneliness thing, too, because in my former life I used to be open about everything. Now, there's so much I keep locked down just to protect myself from the bad feelings. Which in turn can create more bad feelings, I suppose. I don't know. All I really wanted to say is that you're NOT alone. You are an amazing, inspiring person and there are a lot of people in the world pulling for you - people who are here for you to support you the exact way you support them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share this journey with very good company. :)

      Delete