Thursday, November 6, 2014

They Changed My Life


There's been a lot of abortion talk where I live, with the recent elections and some legislation about abortion up for vote.

I have a lot of empathy for people in a situation to choose abortion. I see the struggles firsthand. I try to help the lasting damage some environments cause. Kids can't help the families they are born into, and some adults are not in a place to be parents. It's a sad reality.

I have always believed life begins at conception, so abortion is stopping that life.

Having embryos puts a whole new perspective on abortion. Physically seeing life from the time of countable cells to a heartbeat flicker on a screen only weeks later. I'd bet any mom feels this way, but it is magnified when you go through IVF and see each step as it is happening.

I know my embryos are/were lives. It's pitiful to think the sacrifices that have already been made for mine but others are sucked out of their mom before they even have a chance or say-so.  Furthermore, having d&c's (essentially the same procedure as a surgical abortion) makes me realize how traumatic an abortion is, I imagine even if the pregnancy was "unwanted".

The moment I knew the church I was going to was "my church" was when, in a sermon about abortion, the pastor reminded the congregation that caring about life is more than just abortion but helping the mom/family in a crisis pregnancy, etc. To me, that is the key to my moderate beliefs. Protect life but don't stop there- love all people and serve those in need.

I don't really know the point of all this other than to say although my gift of seeing all perspectives can be dangerous, I think I have cemented truth about life forever in my soul through this experience.

I never knew 8 cells could change my life so much!

1 comment:

  1. I think there is SO much truth in what your pastor said- and I think too many Christians forget that part. That if we're against abortion, than we need to be FOR the women in unplanned and unwanted pregnancies, providing love and tangible help in whatever way they need it. More judgment isn't going to help anyone.

    ReplyDelete