Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Blessings and An Honor



The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.
They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
-Isaiah 61:1-4

I'm still on the brokenhearted side at times, captive to darkness and in mourning. However, I also have blessings in my life that reveal joy, beauty, and praise. I will choose to spend time thanking God for the goodness in my life and the precious blessings I am surrounded by. 

One of the biggest honors I have is being an aunt, both by blood and by friendship. Spontaneous and genuine hugs from chubby arms; holding a warm and peaceful baby; eager goodbye waves from a grinning toddler; a painted butterfly from a preschooler that is on my bulletin board at work; cheering on a lanky boy at a soccer game. 

The kids in my life redeem my emptiness. They can't replace my losses, but they surround me with such wonder, affection, and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment