I didn't know there would be a part three to my miscarriage experience; however, apparently a lot of things happen without me anticipating them.
When my Wednesday post was auto-posting, I was waking up to intense cramps and bleeding. I knew it shouldn't be that bad, so we headed immediately to the ER.
I was there for 5 hours. Get a huge bag of IV fluids. Blood draws. Check for infection. CT scan to check for perforation. An extended ultrasound session. I figured maybe they'd have to give me some medication to help with the bleeding, and I could go home and rest it off.
As a side note, I was in room 7. Eerie.
Finally, the ER doctor told me there was "retained product of conception" stuck in my uterus which was causing clots and intense bleeding.
What in the heck? When will I catch a break?!? A repeat d&c isn't rare, but it isn't exactly common, either.
Since I had an empty stomach, we were discharged from the ER straight to the monitoring RE.
I was a wreck. Wild hair, no makeup, puffy eyes, in pj's, no underwear (ruined at ER), wearing flip-flops with no skid hospital socks. When I got there, in an act of compassion, they put me straight in an exam room so I wouldn't have to sit in the lobby with the polished patients reading magazines, waiting neatly for their appointments.
The RE on call did a much more efficient ultrasound than the ER. Within seconds, sure enough, she saw the leftover tissue, too.
In a second act of compassion, someone with the clinic went down two floors to the surgery center to get me a pair of mesh panties. It made me feel a little more human.
I repeated Friday- check in, pay even more money, change into same gown and hat, get IV (treacherous at this point since I was so dehydrated and the nurse could barely find a vein to poke), talk to anesthesia, wait on the doctor, drift to sleep in the icy surgical suite.
When I woke up, I was in a lot more pain than the first time. The doctor had already talked to Daniel and expressed confidence that everything should be out now.
Here's to hoping my body can finally start to heal physically.
Friday, September 5, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Oh my gosh!!!! What an awful experience on top of all the other awfulness. I am SO sorry, friend. I hope you feel a lot better and heal quickly. :(
ReplyDeleteOh my-I'm so sorry that you had to endure a Part III! :(
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you had to go back in another time. I hope you feel better soon and that your body heals fast. Praying that your heart and soul heal too.
ReplyDeleteA few months ago I went through a similar situation. We had undergone our 3rd IVF treatment and had gotten pregnant. The baby just didn't show signs of life. I was rushed to the emergency room after massive pain...and a surprise baby B! Twins?!? Baby A still had no growth and Baby B was beautiful...perfect heart beat...and in my Fallopian tube. I have a FET scheduled this month....and truthfully I'm a nervous wreck. I keep trying, I keep praying and I keep faith that God will bless us with a baby. I guess that is all we can do.
ReplyDeleteI will pray you find the strength to never give up and I will pray one day you will meet your baby. All the best of luck....
Ugh... that is awful. I went through this after we lost our son. I'm glad you went straight to the ER!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry! What a horrible experience.
ReplyDelete